Skip to content

Forest Practices Authority

Private timber reserves

You can apply to have land declared a private timber reserve (PTR) to provide long-term security for growing or harvesting trees. However, the forest in PTRs must not be cleared for alternative land use. Land declared as a PTR must satisfy legislated criteria. For example, forestry must not be contrary to the public interest or local government zoning and the land must be suitable for forestry.

A forest practices plan is required for all forest practices conducted within a PTR, apart from the exceptions listed in the Forest Practices Regulations 2017. However, forest practices within PTRs do not require local government planning approval if the land continues to be used for establishing forests, growing and harvesting timber.

To get land reserved, you need to apply to Private Forests Tasmania, plus pay an application fee.

Once you have made your application, it comes to our Board for approval. The process can take between three and six months, depending whether there are any objections.

For more information, contact Private Forests Tasmania.

Objecting to a private timber reserve

Objections to land being declared a private timber reserve (PTR) can be made by:

  • a local council
  • a state authority
  • a person who has a legal or equitable interest in either the land, or the timber on the land
  • a person who is the owner of land that joins or is within 100 metres of the boundary of the proposed PTR.

If you objected to a PTR application that has been approved, or if you have had your application for a PTR refused, you can appeal the decision through the Forest Practices Tribunal. You can get further information from the Registrar of the Forest Practices Tribunal on 03 6233 6464.

Current private timber reserves

You can find out if land has a PTR on it from a title search and from maps via the LIST.